Friday, May 27, 2011

Vegan options for gluten-free apple cake recipe

Okay, so after talking with a friend who has to be gluten-free, dairy-free, and egg-free, I decided to try converting my Cathy's Gluten-Free Apple Cake recipe to a vegan version.

So, here are the changes I made:


  • Instead of using semi-sweet chocolate chips (yes, I know you can get dairy-free chips), I used 1 cup of unsweetened, flaked coconut.

  • Instead of 2 eggs, I used the following substitutions:

    • 4 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce + 1 teaspoon baking powder.

    • 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons hot water, mixed together, and let sit for about 10 minutes or so.



I didn't make any other changes to the recipe, and brought some to work today to share. Some of those who tried it had dietary needs (like my gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free friend), and others are real foodies, but all agreed that Cathy's Gluten-Free, Vegan Apple Cake was very, very good.

What's next for my apple cake recipe? Well, I would like to reduce the amount of refined sugar so I may try just using less or trying a couple of different kinds of sweetener (maple syrup and/or agavee syrup have been suggested as possibilities). I also thought I might try using some chopped crystaline ginger in place of the coconut. It seems that the sky's the limit, and this is how you make a recipe your own.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home